ST MARY & ALL SAINTS WITH ST JOHN NOTICES
Weekly Notices, 18th February 2024
1st Sunday in Lent
Rossendale Team Ministry: Making Jesus Known
Our vision is to follow Jesus by learning His ways and sharing His love
We seek to enjoy fellowship together as we worship God, grow in discipleship, develop in ministry and reach our community with the gospel.
We value welcome, worship and witness.
Please Continue to Check the Prayer and Worship section for the readings and sermon for each week. The 4 week rota schedule for worship leaders, readers, intercessors and sidespeople is live on the website. We also have produced a copy of the Morning Prayer Service and a copy of the service of Holy Communion. Please select the appropriate link for the service.
• This Sunday 18th February Rev Chich Hewitt will lead us in a service of Holy Communion at 11:00am. As usual, the service will be streamed live on Zoom..
• Next Sunday 25th February Rev Samuel Hammem will lead us in a service of Holy Communion at 11:00am. As usual, the service will be streamed live on Zoom.
• Please contact us via email - email@example.com if you wish to join the services or if you wish to receive a recording of the service.
Although we’re now in church and broadcasting our services on Zoom, there are still other places to take part in worship, if you can’t make it to the Zoom service . Here are just some of the other options
• At 08:10am, the Sunday worship on BBC Radio 4. and at 9:00am, on The Church of England’s Facebook Page and live streaming on Facebook and YouTube as well as on the CofE’s website, both live and recorded.
• Please check out the Rossendale Team YouTube channel also https://www.youtube.com/@RossendaleTeam316 where a different member of the clergy team leads a short act of worship with contributions from different church members from across the team
• If you are unable to join us in church or on Zoom on a Sunday morning, but would still like to join in some worship on a Sunday, St Anne’s hold a service at 6:30pm each week. This service is also streamed live on Zoom. The Zoom Meeting Number to join this is 810 2414 1313, and the Password is 362633. These numbers are used every week.
• Also, DON’T forget to follow the Facebook page set up by our Family & Community Worker, Claire. – Search for ARK – Anglican Rossendale Kids on Facebook. It’s GREAT !!!
• The Valley at Prayer
The Rossendale Mission Community Prayer Meeting met on 5th February 2024 at 7:00pm on zoom. Please check the page under 'prayer and worship' for details of what we need to pray about this quarter.
These prayer meetings are held on Zoom
Meeting Number 820 3380 3875
• Our weekly service of Morning Office continue on Tuesday mornings at 9am from 20/02/24. It provides an opportunity for a period of midweek prayer and devotion to our church family. Of course, you can stay on for a hot drink and some cake or toast at the café afterwards !
• Café On The Hill is open from 09.00 to 11.00 also on Tuesday Mornings.
• Little Angels will continue on Wednesday mornings from 21st February, at 10:00am. Please see Elaine for details. Numbers have been quite low since the Covid pandemic and the introduction of more free nursery places for younger children, so please do spread the news about this group to anyone you know with tiny tots.
• Our APCM (Annual Parochial Church Meeting – i.e. the parish’s AGM) will be held this year on Sunday 14th April after the service of Morning Prayer, which will be at the earlier time of 10:30am. Please could those who have reports for the calendar year 2023 get these to our PCC Secretary, Lorraine Ashworth, as soon as possible. These include :
Focal Leader report
PCC Treasurer’s report
Safeguarding Officer’s report
Electoral Roll Officer’s report
Pastoral Committee report
Mother’s Union report
Family & Community Worker’s report
Little Angels report
Any other reports on activities during 2023 not included above
• AN APPEAL : At the APCM last year, Heather Taylor kindly offered to take on the role of Treasurer to the PCC. Heather still works full time and is finding that it is becoming untenable to continue her role of Treasurer due to her professional workload. The PCC is, therefore, seeking a replacement for Heather to take over this vital role in the life of the church. Please contact Mike or Lorraine if you would like to discuss this position.
• LENT COURSE During Lent, we will run a series of 5 Studies using the videos, which accompany the book “Be Still” by Brian Heasley. The subtitle of the book is “A Simple Guide To Quiet Times”. Do join us if you think you need help in finding peace. The course will be run on Zoom (please contact us for details). The first session will be on Wednesday 21st February. Thereafter, the sessions will be on Tuesday evenings for four weeks from Tuesday 27th February.
• This year the Rossendale Male Voice Choir celebrates its centenary year. As the choir grew out of the ashes of the singing group, the Goodshaw Glee Union, there is to be a by invitation only concert one hundred years to the day when the choir was formed here, i.e. on Thursday 14th March 2024, at our church, St Mary & All Saints Church, Goodshaw, at 7:30pm.
Around 180 guests and dignitaries have been invited to this event, for which the church has been assigned 8 (individual) tickets. (There are also a couple of unofficial places for those who volunteer to man the kitchen and provide the tea & coffee at the interval.) Of the 180 invited, over 160 have already responded that they will attend, so it is highly unlikely that there will be any spare seats for those without a ticket.
The PCC decided that, since we have a good number of members of the church family who regularly attend RMVC concerts, the fairest way to allocate these 8 tickets would be by ballot.
Anyone wishing to enter the ballot should write their name on one of the pieces of paper on the table in the Parish Room and place it in the (empty chocolate) box provided. (For those who can’t make it to church, but who wish to be entered into the draw, please let Mike know before the draw date (below).
The draw will be made after the service on Sunday 25th February.
• Did you know? That the charity Open Doors has been publishing a list each year since 1955 of the 50 countries in the world, where it is most dangerous to be a Christian. What can we do about this? Well, the main thing we can do is pray and that is why we are going to start listing the countries week by week on the notices so that you can include such persecuted Christians in your prayers. We can also pray specifically @missionEnablers every Thursday. We will add a country to the notices prayer list every week until we have 10 on the list before deleting the first while adding the next – hopefully this process will become clear, as we go along. There will also be more information on the notice board at the back of church if you interested in seeing the list in its entirety.
• The Well is a monthly prayer and worship group organised by Rev Derek Allen on the last Saturday of each month on Zoom. (The next meeting on Saturday 24th February at 7:00pm) The Zoom Meeting Number is : 875 3406 1730, and the Password is 167677
• Parish Lunches: The next Community Lunch will (hopefully be held on Thursday 7th March at 12 noon. As this is the first lunch since the end of November, it would be a good idea to book in with Laura, whether you’re a regular attender or not.
• The next meeting of RENEW (for the ladies) will be on Monday, 11th March at St Mary’s Rawtenstall at 7:15pm for refreshments and 7:45pm start.
• Calling all Eco Warriors!
There are five areas to work on:
Worship and teaching;
How we look after our building;
How we look after our land;
How we engage with the local community and the wider world;
• Connect with God’s creation
- The Eco-Chuirch area on the notice board in the Parish Room contains some ideas of things we can all try at home in working towards being good stewards of the world in which we live. Do take a look !!
- The “squirrel-proof” bird feeder has finally arrived, so should be up in one of the trees in the upper graveyard within the next couple of weeks (weather permitting).
• Flowers in church : Jean Ellison has asked me to remind everyone that there is a calendar-type of list on the notice board for members of the congregation to add their names if they would like to donate money for flowers in church on a given date in memory of someone or a special anniversary etc. Please see Jean for further information. God makes the flowers grow, but we do have to pay those who labour to get them to the flower shops !!
• Prayers for members of our extended church family:If you or any of your loved ones are in need of prayer, please do contact the church via the contact us page or email - firstname.lastname@example.org We cannot list names on the website but we will pray for these people in church and at home.
- If you, or any of your loved ones, are in need of prayer, please do contact the church via email or phone.
• A message from Lorraine regarding Home Communion:"I have now restarted Home Communions. If you would like a visit, please let me know. Thank you." If you don’t have Lorraine’s contact details, but would like home communion, please use the contact us page, or email - email@example.com
• Do you shop online? If so, there is a way to raise funds for church while youre doing so. The church is now registered with easyfundraising.org.uk In logging in to this website and following their links through to such online stores as Amazon, Currys, Argos, Marks & Spencer or Dominos Pizzas and many more, you can help raise up to 2% or even more of your spend for our church. This does not affect such things as Amazon Prime membership or delivery benefits. For details, contact the church via the contact us page or email - firstname.lastname@example.org The website address is https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk
• A note to those members of the church, who make their donations in cash
We would be most grateful if you could :
- Use cash, rather than cheques.
- Use one envelope for each week.
- If this is not possible, please write clearly on any envelope with money for several weeks, which weeks the contents of the envelope cover.
We would also ask you to please consider switching to donating through standing order. If you wish to do so, here are the bank details :
- Account Name : St Mary & All Saints with St John's
- Sort Code : 09-01-53
- Account Number : 75875484
A duty rota has been issued, covering the period through to the end of June 2024. A copy is available for every sides-person. Please do stand on duty, on your allotted Sundays. It is very important that we maintain a warm welcome to guests, visitors and new people.
• Date of Next PCC Meetings :
20th February 2024 at 7.15 in church or on Zoom
9th April 2024
• Pastoral Care Matters :
- The Pastoral Team is still working and are more than willing to provide a listening ear or to pray with you over the phone.
- If you feel the need for support, please email us on email@example.com,
• If you have any Notices to be shared, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday evening, so that they can be included on the Sunday Notices circular. If you wish to receive the notices electronically each week, please speak to Mike or email the above address.